Working Scale Models
These comments on each of the trains displayed at the exhibition are taken verbatim from the programme that was provided to members of the audience.
Click on the links to see the photographs.
This train, the precursor of all railway rolling stock in the Commonwealth, ran from Flinders Street to Sandridge, a distance of 2.5 miles. Its locomotive was designed byt the Hobson's Bay Company's engineer and built in Melbourne. Other engines, ordered from England, did not arrive in time for the opening of the line.
Hauled by a Y class locomotive, such trains were used on branch lines where traffic did not warrant separate passenger and goods services. The mixed train has since been large supplanted by the rail motor for passenger traffic.
The V classs locomotive hauling this train was the first "Consolidation" 2-8-0 type of heavy goods engine used in Victoria. These locomotives were another step in increasing locomotive power to cope with heavier trains and longer hauls.
In June 1883, the Melbourne and Sydney rail link was completed at Albury. In August an express service betweeen the two capitals began. New cars, as exemplified in the model, were introduced in 1907 and, in the following year, the first of the famcous A2 locomtives began hauling the express.
This "crack" train made its inaugural run on the Melbourne-Albury service on November 23, 1937. From then until early this year (1954) it was hauled by one of the streamlined S class locomotives. Since April 23,1954 Spirit of Progress has been hauled by a diesel-electric locomotive. It is Australia's fastest train, having an average speed of 49.7 mph (about 80kph) on the "down" journey and 51.95 on the "up".
This modern train hauled by locomtive H220 (Heavy Harry), gives a fast freight service between Melbourne and Albury, connectin with the fast goods to and from Sydney. It provides a 48-hour service between the two capitals. Much of the freight is carried in the (then) new 5.5 ton steel containers which are safeguard against losses by damage or pilfering, during their door-to-door service.
Beginning as the Geelong Flier in 1926 with an express service between Melbourne and Geelong, The Flier as it is now called, serves Victoria's famous Western District. It has cut the original 70 minutes to Geelong down to 55, and has brought Port Fariy well within six hours of the capital. The Flier is now (1954) hauled by B class diesel-electric locomotive on the "down" journey and by a diesel-electric or one of the new R class steam engines on the "up".
Hauled by two diesel-electric locomotives, the modern Overland is a daily express, in both directions, between Melbourne and Adelaide. It incorporates the most up-to-date refinements of air-conditioned rooette and twinette sleeping cars and sitting cars of saloon type.
The Gippsland line is being duplicated, regraded and electrified to meet the demands of increasing fuel output from Yallourn and Morwell and to serve the rapidly growing needs of the Latrobe Valley generally. Electric trains now (1954) run as far as Warragul; they will eventually run to Yallourn and Traralgon. The new L class main-line electric locomtives haul both passenger and goods trains over the electrified track. Electrification did continue to Traralgon and the Gippslander passenger service was hauled by L class engines as far as there. Now (2004) the pylons and catenary have been long dismantled and the running of the Gippsland line is in the hands of diesel-electric power. A photograph of this train has recently come to light. The model locomotive itself still exists.
These were first introduced in June 1922, for service between Merbein, Mildura and Redcliffs. Driven by a 45 h.p. engine, and seating 43 passengers, the rail motor at times hauled a trailer coach for 12 passengers and two tons of freight. From then on rail motors more and more replaced mixed trains on brancn lines, with a resultant improvement in passenger services.
These vehicles were added to the rail motor fleet in 1928. Motive power was a 220 h.p. petrol engine directly coupled to a 150 kilowatt generator supplying two traction motors. The petrol engines of these cars have since been replaced by diesel engines and the cars theselves have been given more modern seating.
The first of these began its daily run betweeen Melbourne and Daylesford four and a half years ago (in 1954). They have since become so popular that two complete rail-cars coupled together have often to be used. These rail cars, together with the 102 h.p. and the 153 h.p., have greatly improved the passenger services on branch and cross country lines.
Small tank-type steam locomotives of various classes were used for the suburban services. Sliding door carriages were not introduced on suburban lines until 1910. Electric trains began on the Essendon to Sandringham line in May 1919, and steam trains were gradually superseded on other lines until completion of the electrification scheme in April 1923.
This is (was) a peep into the near future. Thirty complete trains of this type are on order and the first is expected in service next year (in 1954). They are to have side doorways, inmproved seating and larger windows.